Our lawyers actually work in the entertainment industry as producers, authors and literary agents. Our lawyers working in the realm of sports law are also deeply involved and highly informed in several key areas.
- Attorney Jamey Newberg manages The Newberg Report, "Covering the Texas Rangers from Top to Bottom™."
- Attorney Sally Helppie is an award-winning independent film producer with four features to her credit. She is the Immediate Past Chair of the Texas Entertainment & Sports Law Section and teaches two industry courses in the Division of Film & Media Arts at SMU. Her newest television show is, "Is O.J. Innocent? The Missing Evidence".
- Attorney Brent Turman is an award-winning short film director/producer and serves as Chair of the Dallas Bar Association's Sports and Entertainment Law Section.
We understand the sports and entertainment industries on a practical level in a way that few can match.
We advise on nearly all aspects of entertainment law, including:
- New media and digital platforms
- Book publishing and options
- Insurance and bonds
- Guild and union matters
- DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act)
- COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act)
- Infringement of rights
- General liability
Our lawyers regularly work on high-budget Hollywood films (e.g., "Hugo" and "The Tourist"), Texas independent features (e.g., "Windsor" and "9 th Floor: Quest for the Ancient Relic"), television series (e.g., "Anger Management" and "The Glee Project") and publishing matters (e.g., the "Hook Runyon" series, "Fifty Shades of Grey" litigation, and sale of film rights to the nonfiction book "The Free State of Jones," with the movie starring Matthew McConaughey).
We represent producers and production companies, directors, Internet platforms, financiers, exhibitors, writers, actors, musicians, creators and amusement parks.
As importantly, our entertainment attorneys are seasoned litigators with decades of collective experience in both state and federal courts, mediation and arbitration. Because we know how, when and why disputes arise, we are better prepared to negotiate and draft agreements on the front end. We also know the practicalities of how things really work in the industry, which enables us to better protect our clients when resolving disputes.
Our sports law team has expertise in meeting the unique demands of business transactions and litigation, including general liability, in the professional sports world. We have been selected to work with franchises and individual clients in a variety of professional sports. While our primary efforts are focused on franchises and their facilities, we also handle the nonagent business needs of professional athletes.
Vincent Serafino Geary Waddell Jenevein, P.C., serves sports law clients with a comprehensive team of business, finance, real estate, construction and intellectual property attorneys.
We are available in Dallas and Houston at 214-979-7400 or through our secure online form. Please contact us with questions and to schedule a meeting with one of our lawyers.