Richard G. Dafoe
Direct Dial: 214.979.7427
Mr. Dafoe is involved in a general bankruptcy and debtor-creditor litigation practice including representation in all phases of reorganization: pre-petition, post-petition, out of court, consumer, and business. He has extensive litigation experience on every major aspect of bankruptcy and commercial law, including: state litigation, preferences and fraudulent conveyance, collections, exemptions and estate planning, discharge issues, plans of reorganization, and asset recovery. His workload is divided into approximately 65% creditor and trustee representation and 35% debtor representation. Types of entities represented include major national insurance and surety companies, banks, trustees, owners of businesses, and individuals.
He handles general commercial litigation in federal and state courts from collection to complex lender liability matters.
The publisher of Texas Monthly magazine has named Mr. Dafoe as a Texas Super Lawyer.
- State Bar of Texas
- The College of the State Bar of Texas
- American Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association (member, Bankruptcy Bar Section)
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Business Bankruptcy Law (1988)
- Consumer Bankruptcy Law (1985)
Speeches & Publications
- "Bankruptcy Issues in Suretyship," Private Industry Group, August, 1994
- "Bankruptcy Crimes," Dallas Association of Legal Assistants, October, 1992
- "Exemption Planning," Dallas Association of Legal Assistants, October, 1991
- "Practical Tips for Family Law Lawyers in Bankruptcy Cases," Dallas Bar Association, Family Law Section, November, 1990
- "Key Bankruptcy Issues In Construction Practice," Dallas Bar Association, Construction Law Section, September, 1986
- "Creditors' Rights in Chapter 11," Small Business Report, August, 1986
- "Is There Life For Creditors After Chapter 11?", Wall Street Journal on Management, August 1989
- "Exempting Personal Injuries Claims in Bankruptcy," Texas Bar Journal, Volume 63, Number 8, September 2000, page 741
Certified by the American Bankruptcy Institute in Business Bankruptcy (1993).
- Southern Methodist University, Juris Doctor, 1976
- University of Wisconsin, Bachelor of Arts, with honors, 1972
Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Listing